[ Home ] [ Photos and Features ] [ Tariffs and Bookings ] [ Restrictions ]
[ Guest's Comments ] [ Print a Summary ] [ Location Maps ] [ Holiday Planning ]

South West Rocks

Welcome to South West Rocks sign

The South West Rocks

The region is rich in history. The first notable piece of European history in the area being the observation by Captain James Cook, on 13 May 1770, of smoke from a fire on a mountain which he duly named Smoky Cape. The headland in front of the mountain is now the location of Smoky Cape Lighthouse.

Trial Bay was named after a brig, The Trial, which was stolen and wrecked by convicts in 1816 in the bay that now bears its name. When the area was developed, Arakoon was intended as the major town in the area, but history has a way of changing the plans of men, and South West Rocks has taken on that role.

There are a number of stories as to how South West Rocks got it's name, but one of the most favoured is that the captains of passing ships where told it was safest to moor their vessels near the rocks, south west of Laggers Point (the point on which Trial Bay Gaol is built). An alternate story is that they were told their moorings would be safe if they kept the rocks to their south west.

"What an absolute delight it was to stay at Jacketts..."

For the history buffs we would recommend obtaining a copy of "The Tales of Trial Bay" (ISBN 0 646 14914 8) by Caroline Carey which tells the story of Arakoon, Trial Bay and South West Rocks. Copies are available from the South West Rocks Maritime Musuem or Trial Bay Gaol.

History will now record that the area is known best for its fishing, scuba diving and as a relaxing beachside holiday destination.

Aerial


Beaches


Waterways


The Sights


Picnic Spots


Diving


Around Town



For more information about South West Rocks visit our [ Holiday Planning ] page.


[ Home ] [ Photos and Features ] [ Tariffs and Bookings ] [ Restrictions ]
[ Guest's Comments ] [ Print a Summary ] [ Location Maps ] [ Holiday Planning ]